Monday, June 7, 2010

Delicious Wanton Noodle in Johor Bahru

   As I was at Meldrum street in Johor Bahru, I took the opportunity to try out the wanton noodle stall. If those who are not familiar with what is wanton, it is basically minced meat dumpling served together with yellow noodles. You can order either the dry or soup version. The dry version means that the noodle is served dry with chili and tomato sauce and sometimes added vinegar oil. Wanton noodle is a basic and popular food among the Chinese in Malaysia and Singapore.



   The stall which is situated inside a worn out looking coffee shop. In fact if you are in Meldrum walk, you will notice that most of the coffee shops there are old. But don't let the outward appearance of the coffee shops deceived you. There are plenty of good food being sold at these coffee shops. I always take the time to go to Meldrum walk whenever I am in Johor Bahru as it is very close to the CIQ ( Customs and Immigration ), just less than 10 minutes walk away.



   The wanton noodle stall is normally very busy in the morning and also at lunch time. I like the noodle as it is light and fragrant. The only complain from me is that the standard serving is quite small in portion. You can in fact swallow the entire noodles in the small bowl within a few gulp. I have also try the Sui Jiao which is the meat dumpling but my preference is still their wanton noodle. I find the Sui Jiao has too much meat stuffing. I prefer Sui Jiao stuffed with minced meat, prawns, mushroom and sliced vegetables.



   If you intend to try the wanton noodle, try to do it on weekdays instead of weekends. Because the coffee shops are normally very crowded during the weekends, you may not be able to find a vacant table/seat. I have written a blog on this wanton noodle stall, if you are keen to read them, just follow the link below:-

 Wanton Noodle in Johor Bahru